Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First Bottle



The fateful day of introducing the bottle came this past week.  I thought I would be excited to have Owen using a bottle occasionally so that I might gain some freedom, but I was not.  First, pumping is terrible.  As if I did not already feel like a cow - enter the breast pump.  It also does not help that Barret refers to the process of nursing as milking (although he has not been allowed to use that phrase since Owen entered the world).  Second, it turns out I totally understand those moms that refuse to give up breastfeeding.  There is something special about being able to nurse your child and it is a great bonding experience.  I somewhat worry that I may carry on the practice for a bit too long.  If I turn out to still be nursing Owen and having him sleep in my bed when he is as old as the child in the picture - please intervene.







Amy and Amanda came to visit us this past weekend.  What is crazy - we have been friends for sixteen years.  Back then we were riding our bikes around, sneaking out to Teen Night at Tropics, and getting samplers at Applebee's.  Now, I have a baby, Amanda just got engaged, and Amy just bought a new house.  Nevertheless, we are not too old to have sleepovers and rock matching polar bear pants.

Barret felt a little excluded, so decided to put on his Simpson pants. 


It was a wild weekend of hanging out at my house and gossiping.


Owen has been super smiley, which is so much fun.  However, he can also be serious at times.  Now, he is smiling at time other than being on his changing pad.  He is also still burning through a shocking amount of diapers - I keep waiting for that day to come when he only goes through 8-10.  I was trying to pump the other day so I set him down on my bed and he seemed content - then he started crying so I checked and he had a wet diaper.  I was just finishing up, so I popped his diaper off and snapped his onesie back on - figuring he would not have to pee again within the next five minutes.  I was wrong.  He started crying again just a few minutes later and I was left to wash our bedding.

These are our stockings, and I find it incredibly sad that Murphy has the nicest stocking.  Barret's is by far the worst - it was the stocking he had a prior law firm and they decided to let him keep it.  I actually like mine but decided it was time to update from "Baby's First Christmas."  Also, our newest addition does not have a stocking.  So I ordered some new stockings - now I just have to figure out what to stuff in Owen's.




What the hell did Brandi say about Adrienne?  Usually, I am kind of annoyed because I know what happens on these shows before they air - like that Leah's (Teen Mom 2) facebook love interest ends up being her husband and she is pregnant again.  But, this time I scoured the internet for a good hour and could not find out what was said.  According to the gossip blogs, it is speculated that she commented on Adrienne using a surrogate, but I find it odd that such a statement would warrant such a reaction and a lawsuit.  This episode gave me horrible flashbacks of studying for the bar and what elements are necessary to constitute defamation - so I then decided to make some granola bars.



Being super domestic - I made homemade granola bars.  I also taste-tested them before taking a picture to make sure they were up to snuff.  They were tasty.  Here is the recipe - I added peanut butter chips as well:

  • 2 cups chocolate chips


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
  3. Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment