Monday, November 12, 2012

Week 1: Lots of visitors and learning

We were fortunate to have some visitors at the hospital.
Mason is clearly not too happy about a new baby being in town.  However, we are still confident that we will be best buds.


 We also had some friends visit during Owen's first week or two at our home.  We have been getting spoiled by people bringing dishes along with their visits and have yet to cook a lunch or dinner.  It has been great and thank you for all of your help.  Not pictured:  Angie Richter who made us a fantastic taco dish - not sure how we missed snapping a picture of her with Owen


 Owen has a couple older ladies to choose from.  Unfortunately, Angela fell victim to visiting new parents.  Mom did not put a diaper on securely and for some reason decided to not put pants on the baby when he had visitors - so Angela got some pee on her dress.  Thankfully, she has a baby of her own and seemed to be unfazed.  Thankfully, it was also just pee and not number two.
A few things I have learned...

This baby may look the perfect angel.  However, he is a baby boy.  I had been sufficiently cautioned about the danger of diaper changing and not leaving the penis exposed while changing.  Nonetheless, I thought I could be fast enough on day 2 that it would be ok (see earlier comment about Angela getting peed on).  I was wrong.  Owen more or less peed on my face and sprayed the entire nursery.  I did not know such a little baby could pack that much power.  Barret was peacefully sleeping on the couch when this happened - but was quickly awoken.  I had told him what happened, but that did not prevent him from falling victim to it the next day.  I think we have both learned this lesson now, but he will likely get us again.

So this picture is kind of cruel, but Owen had a case of mild jaundice during his first week of life.  Apparently, this is because my blood type is O and Owen's is A - due to Barret having a different type from me.  So basically, it is Barret's fault - is my understanding.  The first day his treatment was just to sit by a window and get some natural light.  His levels did not go down though, so we had to have him in this bili blanket for a couple days.  Thankfully, his levels went down after a few days and we were able to discontinue use of this blanket.  Barret called him a glow worm.

I am still learning how to format these, but next post will just be pictures of Owen.  Hoping to get it put together later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment