Thursday, March 14, 2013

First Vacation

We decided to escape the snow and cold for a few days and headed to Florida this past weekend.  Also, Owen needed to meet his great-grandma who has an amazing condo on the beach.  So, we embarked on our first vacation with Owen.

We flew from Madison to Chicago to Tampa.  The first flight was great and I thought I was so awesome and had such a great baby.  Not sure why I was so proud of myself for getting through a twenty minute flight, but I was.  Owen fell asleep before take off and woke up after we landed (he flies like me).  But then we got to the second flight and it was awful.  As soon as we sat in our seats, Owen started wailing and was inconsolable.  The flight attendant tried to help by bringing a cup - not sure what the point of that was but it did not help and really just kind of pissed me off more.  Owen spent a good 20 minutes screaming and it was terrible.  Thankfully, he got all of it out in those 20 minutes and slept for the rest of the flight.  The people around us were pretty nice (albeit likely annoyed).  However, I will say that it was 20 times worse to be the parents of the crying baby than to just be a passenger on a flight with a crying baby.  I will never shoot the Glienke Glare at another parent with a crying baby on a plane again.
Our friends Amanda and Roger met us to vacation in Florida together.  You know you have a good friend when she agrees to take a vacation to visit your husband's grandma and hang out with your 4 month old.  This wasn't your typical Spring Break in Cancun - I think Roger and Barret cashed a six pack over 4 days - but we had a good time hanging out on the beach and near the pool.


There were no diapers allowed in the main pool, so Owen was relegated to the kiddy pool.  We were uncertain if the "no diapers" policy was put in place to keep the babies or the super old timers out.  Regardless, we abided by the rule and Owen took his swimming very seriously.

Here is Owen with his great-grandma Gucci.  He enjoyed living the high life in Florida.  We determined that his first foods ought to be lobster and Godiva chocolates.  No mashed bananas for Prince Van Sicklen.  Thankfully, he did not get us kicked out of any restaurants - we did some one lady get booted for having a crying baby.  However, I learned my lesson and did not glare at her.

Now, instead of seeing palm trees and sun - I have a lovely view of snow and grey skies.  I usually do not like spring, but am totally ready for it to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment